Thursday, November 5, 2009

Week 6: A busy week of reading

As the end of the quarter was approaching even more rapidly, I knew I had a lot of work to do to get anywhere in independent reading. Last week (Sunday, so maybe that counts as this week) I finished the Da Vinci Code. It was a great book, other than the ending which had a little too much about religion for my liking. That was the end of 1.5 books. Great only 1.5 more (since this is online you can't tell, but I mean this very sarcastically). To try to get one book in I asked my parents to get me, from the library, Five People You Meet in Heaven (a book that I'd assumed was rather short). When it came in, I took a look at it and realized that it wasn't as short as I'd assumed (actually 200 pages). So... I chose a book that I'd actually contemplated reading over the summer, The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time, by Mark Haddon. The lucky placement of Tuesday's day off gave me the chance to get a great deal of the way through it, and by Wednesday I had finished. It was a pretty good read, but not as exciting as the Da Vinci Code. The story was told through the eyes of an autistic boy, framed for a crime he didn't commit. The story has some surprises (like the fact that instead of dying, his mom just divorced his dad), but definitely none comparable to that of the identity of the teacher in the Da Vinci Code. Although I only got 2.5 books done, I'm satisfied with the reading I got in (being more than I've done in a while), and I will work to get the full three in next quarter.

1 comment:

  1. So what was your favorite part of "The Curious Incident of the Dog at Nighttime?"
    What books have you selected for quarter 2?

    ReplyDelete