Wednesday, June 9, 2010

The Alchemist

As the quarter winds down, I find myself in the best spot I've been in all year in terms of Independent reading. The story of Pat Tillman is done, and that was a good book, and I'm almost done with The Last Lecture.
I have to say, in the words of Ms. O'Brien, The Alchemist was "El Sucko". I felt that there was absolutely nothing about it that I liked. The plot was boring, a boy in search of his "personal legend" or treasure, who cares! There is absolutely nothing unique about this book except for how poorly it was written. Normally authors slip casual messages about human nature in through the actions of their characters, here Paulo Cohelo simply stated his ideas in dry boring statements, that were hard to relate to. Long story short, I would not recommend The Alchemist to anyone who looks to enjoy reading a book.

No comments:

Post a Comment