Thursday, January 21, 2010

Five People Book Review

Found on Amazon
Albom takes a big risk with the novel; such a story can easily veer into the saccharine and preachy, and this one does in moments. But, for the most part, Albom's telling remains poignant and is occasionally profound. Even with its flaws, The Five People You Meet in Heaven is a small, pure, and simple book that will find good company on a shelf next to It's A Wonderful Life. --Patrick O'Kelley

In response to this review:
I agree that a story of this nature -- a book about death-- can easily come across as saccharine (overly sentimental) yet Albom keeps this book from doing so. I do find however that I must disagree with Patrick O'Kelly describing this story as poignant. I felt as thought, rather than focusing on the sad part about the fact that Eddie died, Albom was able to depict Eddie's journey through heaven. Additionally I disagree with O'Kelly's description of this book as simple. Although the plot focuses mainly on his journey, it occasionally meanders into a more sophisticated plot about living your life to the fullest (though a little cliched, still the theme of the book).
Overall, I disagree with O'Kelly's views on this book, because I did not perceive this book to be, in any way, poignant or simple; I also would not say there are flaws substantial enough that they need to be addressed in a 4 line summary of the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment